Friday 1, January 2016
Bible Passage(s): Genesis 47: 1 - 6
Memory Verse: "I will extend peace to her like a river, and the wealth of nations like a flooding stream; you will nurse and be carried on her arm and dandled on her knees. As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted over Jerusalem." Isa 66:12-13 NIV
I wish you a happy and prosperous New Year 2016 and also welcome you to the Year of Peace and Safety. In December 2015, God gave us a word that, though the evidences around us portend that there may be no respite from the difficulties the world faced in the year 2015, but for the year 2016, the Lord says that: He ''will extend peace to us like a river, and the wealth of nations like a flooding stream; we will be nursed and carried on her arm and dandled on her knees.
As a mother comforts her child, so will the Lord comfort us; and we will be comforted in all our nations." (Isa 66:12-13). The Lord will keep us in the Peace and Safety that our hearts desire in the year 2016.
Yes indeed, the year 2015 was a very eventful and in many cases traumatic one for many of us. Individually, many faced challenges too numerous to recount. Corporately, many nations experienced both good and bad times. Economically, the world witnessed a downturn and scarcity of funds. Insecurity, fear and terrorism were practically a daily experience in many parts of the world. Many lives and properties were lost and untold hardship was unleashed on the people.
Here at home in Nigeria, our major source of income, crude oil, is daily losing value on the world market. Our economy appears destined for the doldrums. There is hunger, fear, deprivation and serious lack in the land. Many workers are owed salaries for several months. The private sector does not fare any better! Retrenchment is the order of the day and many companies are folding up! Our nation and indeed the world is at a crossroad! But through the turmoil and ills, the Lord gave us a New Song; a hymn of praise to our God and many who saw it were afraid and praised the Lord our God. In year 2016, the Prince of Peace will come and reign in our world!
As we read in the reference passage; Genesis Chapter 47: 1-6, when the world and indeed the children of Israel were faced with a similar situation, the Lord brought them into the land of Goshen in Egypt; a country where He had earlier sent one of their brothers, Joseph, with the 'intent of preserving a posterity' for mankind. Goshen is an area in the River Nile delta that is well watered and its grasses and leaves are lush and green.
There is no experience of drought anytime of the year. It is a land and a place of rest for the blessed people of the Lord (Psalm 1:1-3). It is also a land of safety and security. You will recall that through all the ten plagues' the Lord brought upon Egypt in the Book of Exodus, none of it affected the people of God who were living in Goshen. This is the land that God is bringing us into this year 2016; a land of safety, where we will dwell in peace and security.
Therefore as we go in the year 2016, the message of the Lord to us is that of hope and assurance. The Prince of Peace will arise with healing in His wings to keep us safe and bring peace to our world. He will keep in perfect peace you whose mind is steadfast, because you trust in Him (Isaiah 26:3). So go into the year and walk through it with confidence. Let your rest be in the Lord, lie down and sleep in peace, for He alone will make you dwell in safety (Ps 4:8-5:1).
Play your part by worshiping the Lord like never before and praise Him continually. Let songs of joy and praises fill your mouth, because, it will not be by your power or your might, but the Lord will go before you and make all crooked places straight. He will make provisions for you long before you need them. Praise His Holy Name forever. Hallelujah!
May the Lord bless and keep you. May He make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. May the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace, now and forevermore. Amen. Have a wonderful month and a good year.
1. Look back over the year 2015 and recount all that the Lord accomplished in your life. Despite the troubles and problems that pervaded the year, the Lord brought you through unscathed into Year 2016. Give praises and thanksgiving unto Him. For He is the Lord and His mercy endures forever.
2. Make it a duty, every day of the Year 2016, to praise the Lord for who He is and what He is to you. Worship Him with songs of praises and thanksgiving. This is all you require to navigate through the Year 2016.
3. Pray and ask the Lord to extend His peace to you like a flooding stream. That throughout this year, whatever the physical circumstance may look like, His peace shall reign supreme in your life.
4. Pray that throughout this year, the Lord will comfort you on every side, as a mother comforts her child. That you shall not be left without comfort. That His provision and abundance shall comfort you, no matter what the situation may be.
5. Pray to the Lord and ask that throughout this year, He will tabernacle over you like a chicken broods over its children. That He will cover you with his feathers, and you will find refuge under His wings and His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
6. Pray that throughout this year, the Lord will nurse and carry you on His arm and dandle you on His knees, providing you with abundance and the wealth. That you will prosper in the courts of your Lord.
7. Pray and ask the Lord to place you in your Goshen this year, and that, as He did for the children of Israel during the ten plagues which He brought upon Egypt, He will keep you in the safety which your heart desires.
8. Pray that you will dwell safe and secure under His shelter and that you will rest in His great shadow. That He will be your refuge and mighty fortress; your God, in whom you trust.
9. Pray that throughout this year, you will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
10. Pray to the Lord and ask that, even if a thousand should fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand, it will not come near you. That you will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.
11. Pray to the Lord and ask Him, that in spite of the economic downturn in the world and your nation, He will provide for you in miraculous ways.
12. Pray for your nation and our world and ask that the Lord will bring about a total turnaround for the better. Ask that He will make all wars to cease and bring a complete stoppage to the reign of terror in our lands. Pray and ask the Prince of Peace will bring His peace into our world.
13. Pray that the Lord will bring back the era of abundance to our nations and our world. That our hearts will rejoice in the nourishment that He will provide, praising His Holy Name forever.
14. Pray for your children, that this year the Lord will make them dwell secured in the land, full of grace and lavished generously with favor. That your sons will be as plants grown up in their youth and your daughters will be as corner stones, polished after the similitude of a palace.
This year, the Lord shall extend His peace to you like a flowing stream, you shall be comforted on every side and feed in safety, He will provide you with the peace that your heart desires.