Bible Passage(s): Mark 5: 21 - 34
Memory Verse: '' Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering." Mark 5:33-34
The Living Bible defined Faith in the book of Hebrews 11:1-2, as '....... the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead. In the past month, I have had cause to ponder severally on this word - faith, vis-s-vis my expectations of answers to my prayers. For some months now, I have been standing in the gap for some people on particular issues in their lives and also in some areas of my own life. Many a times I get so desperate that I question whether God is really listening to me. Or that there is something I am not doing right. I get so worried sometimes that I am unable to sleep in the night and sometimes during the course of my activities during the day I pause to ponder, praying like, Daniel prayed; 'O Lord, listen! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, hear and act! For your sake, O my God, do not delay, because your city and your people bear your Name.' - Dan 9:19. However in the past few weeks, I have come to the understanding that God indeed answers prayers and all that is needed is a leap of faith to take action and recognise what God is doing.
The story of the woman with the issue of blood for fourteen years is a message the Lord wants to encourage us with this month. The woman, by a sheer leap of faith, defied all odds, such as opposition and discouragement of men, her inabilities and condition, she touched the hem of Jesus' garment and was instantly healed! I believe she must have considered doing this many times, praying to have a divine encounter, but doubts, fear and timidity might all have combined to discourage her from doing so. However, when she eventually summoned enough courage, she took a leap and was instantly healed! This story encouraged me to realise that God has already answered my prayers; all I need is a leap of faith to come into the full manifestation of the answers. How do I do this, you will ask? Hebrews 11:1 provides the answer. All I need to do is go about in the confident assurance that what I am praying for has happened. I should not doubt, but be assured that it is going to happen. The Bible says in Matthew 21:22, 'If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.' Therefore I challenge you this month, let your faith rise and do not doubt, but believe in your heart. Go about in the confident assurance that the father hears you and He knows what you need, even before you ask. He is willing to act on your behalf.
Today, 1st of October, our country Nigeria clocks 53 years of independence from colonial rule. Unfortunately, as some people have observed, it appears we changed our British colonial masters only to enter into bondage of our fellow Nigerians! Our leaders, past and present, have not worked to make this nation work, but have only been pursuing their personal interests to the detriment of the generality of the people. As we change from one leader to the another and one government to another, we find the situation getting worse. We complain about our leaders, but fail to realise that they came from amongst us. They are who we are and unless we all come to the realisation that we are in a commonwealth and need to do things for the generality of the people, we will continue to have the same situation repeating itself year in year out. Agitations will always rear its head and, I fear violence will not abate. So I say, let us deal fairly with each other. It is not about tribe or religion, but about dealing fairly and working to make the people to rejoice. Nigerians should not be suffering in the midst of plenty. Remember, he who sows the wind, will reap the whirlwind. Lets continue to pray and also take a leap of faith. In your little way, take care to deal fairly with those under you, whose life are affected by your action or inaction. Let us all put selfishness aside and work for the good of all. The Lord has given us so much as a people. We need to change our ways, be willing and obedient, so we can eat the good of the land.
The Lord bless and keep you. May He make His face to shine upon you and give you peace, now and for evermore. Happy independence anniversary.
Prayer(s) for the Month
1. Come to the presence of God by the way of the blood of Jesus, confess your sins and that of your nation, ask God to forgive and bless.
2. Present your petitions to the Lord, for this month. Believe in your heart that He knows your need and ask with confidence and assurance and you will receive answers to all your petitions.
3. Are you sick at the moment, take a leap of faith, touch the hem of Jesus' garment. Do not allow your physical circumstances to affect your faith. Be confident and claim your healing, which is already assured in Christ Jesus.
4. Pray for Nigeria and ask the Lord to change us and help us to change our ways. That we will love each other and move to do things for the benefit and good of all.
5. Ask the Lord to raise for us leaders who will come together and do well for this nation. It is not just about one leader, but a collective. We need a critical mass of righteous and God fearing leaders. Ask the Lord to raise you up as one of these leaders.
6. Also pray for the current leaders that the Lord will give them the wisdom to direct the affairs of this nation aright. Particularly as we prepare for the National Conference, ask the Lord to give us wisdom to come up with the right arrangements that will make the nation to survive and move forward.
7. Thank the Lord for the answers to your prayers. If you pray, believing in your heart, you will receive answers to all your prayer. Believe and receive in Jesus name.
8. The Youth Leadership Congress/Skills Acquisition Fair of Grace Leadership Foundation comes up on the 18th and 19th October 2013. Please pray along with us that the Lord will prepare the speakers to impact the participants and that through the Congress, the Lord will raise an army of men who will come into the vanguard and make this nation better for all.