Thursday 1, October 2015
Bible Passage(s): 1 Peter 2: 18 - 25
Memory Verse: “ For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us,* leaving us* an example, that you should follow His steps'' 1 Peter 2:21
Following in the steps of Christ means yielding yourself as His disciple; walking in the way He walked. A disciple of Christ is one who lives out his life in accordance with the understanding of what it means to be a follower of Christ. He is one who has given his life to Jesus Christ and thereby make deliberate effort to imitate Him and do what He does.
Jesus Christ at the end of His life, in Matthew 28 verses 19 - 20, charged His disciples: ''Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:'' Therefore, as disciples of Christ, we have the mandate/commission to go into the world and make disciples of both men and women
As such we are ambassadors of Christ to all nations with a brief to go teach all them by modelling the character of Jesus Christ; baptising them in the name of God and teaching them to observe all things. To do these, we must first model the life of Christ in all that we do. That is with our lifestyle. A leader leads the way by example, serving rather than being served. Therefore to be good ambassadors of Christ, we have to do the following:
1. Live a life of sacrifice, as an example, with our time, talent, money, possessions and ambition;
2. Have a strong faith in God, for without faith, no one can please Him;
3. Live a life of service as Jesus Christ modelled for us to follow;
4. Follow in His steps by modelling His character wherever we go
We can do this through our obedience (which must be total); our walk (going all the way, no half measures); be ready to suffer and deny ourselves (if need be); always, in our conduct and association, either at work, in our business dealings, daily living and service, before doing anything or taking a major decision to always first ask ourselves 'what will Jesus do, if He is faced with this kind of situation? Ask yourself, how will I conduct myself if I have to make a decision about the way I run my business or in my place of work, about making money, relating to my immediate environment and in my position of power, influence and wealth? Will I be able to deny myself and, if I have to, suffer in order to save the lost, save my nation, impact and fulfil the great commission, thereby fulfilling purpose?
Our world is becoming a dangerous place for the believer in Jesus Christ. It is daily becoming difficult, in some places in the world, to openly profess our faith in Christ. Sin and moral decadence have practically taken over our world, even in the highest places! However, I daresay that, as followers of Jesus Christ, this is perhaps the best time to be alive! The harvest is ripe! Are you willing to join the fray and save the lost. There will indeed be prices to pay, and some cases it might be with our lives. But as the Bible says in Matt 16:26: 'For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Our nations, at this time need men, who the lust of flesh will not kill, who the lust of the eyes will not derail and who the pride of life will not hold down. May He make you and I such men and women for our nation Nigeria in Jesus name. Particularly as we celebrate another year in the birth of our nation.
May the Lord bless and keep you. May He make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. May the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace, now and forevermore. Amen. Have a wonderful month.
Prayer Points for the month
1. Thank the Lord for making you to see another month. The last quarter of the year. He has seen you through thus far. Praise Him for the wonderful things he has done thus far in your life. Thank Him for what He has in store for you in the remaining part of the year.
2. As the year draws to a close, pray that the Lord will preserve you and meet you at every point of your need.
3. Pray that He will deliver you from wicked and unreasonable men and that He will shut the mouths of you accusers.
4. Pray that the Lord will cause you to leap up for joy this year and uplift you before the very eyes of your tormentors.
5. Pray for our nation as we enter another year. Ask the Lord to make this a pleasurable year for all of us.
6. Pray for our state governments, particularly those who are owing workers salaries and ask the Lord to grant the Governors the wisdom to do the needful in order to alleviate the sufferings of their people.
7. Pray and ask the Lord to interfere in the affairs of our nation, particularly our economy. Ask that He cause there to be a resurgence in our economic fortunes, so that we can all rejoice again.
President, Grace Leadership Foundation.
Thursday 1, October 2015