Sunday 1, February 2015
This month, February 2015 is a very important month in the history of our beloved nation, Nigeria. This is because, as from 14 February, we will be electing a new set of leaders who will rule the nation for another four years. The electioneering campaigns have been very acrimonious and run with bad language in a show of desperation. Nigerians have been divided along ethnic and religious lines, all for the sake of winning the election!
The environment has been high charged up with unguarded statements, not only from the politicians who are campaigning, but also from our various pulpits and the various social, print and audio-visual media. Across the broad spectrum of the society, especially amongst the elites, we have allowed consideration of personalities to becloud the need to discuss real issues with objectivity. What is going on is a great shame!
I believe this time calls for everyone to have a sober reflection and prayerfully consider the needs of the moment. The Message of Grace for this month is simply to lead us to pray the prayer of Josiah Gilbert Holland. I believe we need, more than anything else to set our cleavages aside and seriously pray this prayer, right from our homes, offices, to the public arena and our various pulpits. As this year is the year of a New Song, I believe that the Lord will turn the situation around to favor our nation and the majority who toil daily under the yoke of poverty, oppression, abuse, ill-health and hunger.
Prayers for the Month
GOD, give us men!
A time like this demands Strong minds, great hearts, true faith and ready hands;
Men whom the lust of office does not kill;
Men whom the spoils of office cannot buy;
Men who possess opinions and a will;
Men who have honor; men who will not lie;
Men who can stand before a demagogue
And damn his treacherous flatteries without winking!
Tall men, sun-crowned, who live above the fog
In public duty, and in private thinking;
For while the rabble, with their thumb-worn creeds,
Their large professions and their little deeds,
Mingle in selfish strife, lo! Freedom weeps,
Wrong rules the land and waiting Justice sleeps.
Josiah Gilbert Holland (1819-1881)
• Please pray that God will give us these kind of men and women in our nation. That justice, equity, fairness and love will fill our land and not ethnicity, religious bigotry and wickedness.
• Ask the Lord to banish evil men and women from our political landscape and bring to the fore those who genuinely love the nation and want to do well for it.
• Pray that this election shall be free, fair and violence free; that, in spite of ourselves, the Lord will surprise us and give us true patriots and selfless leaders, who will rule this nation in His fear and admonition.
• Pray that the Lord will deliver us from the evil cabal, who has been holding our nation hostage for over 50 years and are still hell bent on maintaining their hold. Ask the Lord to remove them from their lofty, arrogant heights and shame them during this election.
• Pray for yourself and ask the Lord to protect you and your loved ones during this period. That none of you will fall into wrong hands. But that you will be strategically positioned for His mercy, favor and help all through this month.
The Lord bless you and keep you. May He make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. May the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace, now and forevermore. Amen. Welcome to your year of a New Song. Year 2015 will be great and this month will open the year on a wonderful note for you and your entire household in Jesus mighty name. Amen
President, Grace Leadership Foundation.
Sunday 1, February 2015